View Single Post
Old 10-20-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter View Post
So I get the whole "don't obsess about equipment" thing. But still (this being the AGF) could I ask: what's the deal with liking different picks on different guitars? Martin + Blue Chip / Bourgeois + Wegen. For those of us interested in obsessing, please explain: why would one kind of pick work better for one kind of guitar?

will
To me it's not that one particular instrument requires a specific pick for the tone I want. I find that in general a given pick material has a big and similar influence on the tone regardless of whether I'm playing my archtop with monel strings, my mandolin with 80-20 bronze, my octave mandolin with flatwound chromes, etc. I use thick (2.0 mm) picks.

Acrylic picks (Gravity) have the brightest tone. My Vespel (Bluechip) has a darker mellow tone. My all around favorite, Wegen (i don't know what material they're made of) is nicely in the middle. The shape (rounded teardrop vs pointy teardrop vs rounded triangle etc.) also influences tone some, but not near as much as the material.