View Single Post
Old 03-26-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-thirty-great View Post
I too keep my nails relatively short. The tips of my nails are about even with the flesh at the tip of my finger. I like the tone and control/feel I get this way, as well as the reduced likelihood of breaking nails.
+1 on that.

I play with extremely short nails. They barely reach the tips of my fingers, and they're filed to match the contour of the fingertip.

Back when I started classical guitar (many, many years ago), there was not so much discussion about nail shape. In fact, as I recall, the nail shape that was taught (or at least inferred) followed my current practice, albeit the "proper" length was somewhat longer than I use now. When I left guitar to concentrate on harp (Medieval and wire-strung technique: using nails still, but on both hands), I shortened my nails, particularly when I got a regular gig and a broken nail would be a major disaster. In fact, it was nail breakage that caused me to give up the long nails and play with my very short nails.

I should mention that, regarding wire-strung harp technique, the current orthodoxy specifies *long* nails, filed slantwise: much the same as I'm seeing in some of the nail discussions about classical guitar. Honestly, I mostly don't care for the sound produced by these harpers, and I shudder to think what their nail-upkeep routine must be.

But I played wire-strung harp with short nails for years and never had much of a problem either with length or with tone.

I don't really feel that, even with my very short nails, I'm having much of a tonal problem with classical guitar. (I accept the fact that others may disagree.) One of the advantages of short nails is that breakage becomes less of a problem. In fact, the only time I really cause damage to my nails is when I'm working the heavy bag: my bag gloves compress the outside (pinky finger) corner of my index fingernail and cause a whitened stress fracture. (I just file off the damaged part.) Another advantage is that I don't have as many problems executing daily tasks...such as the typing I'm doing now. In fact, I can tell when my nails need shortening when I start to feel them impact on the bezel surrounding my "Chiclet-style" keyboard keys.

So maybe I'm wrong, but this nail length appears to work for me.

I mention all of this for the sake of those who, like me, have problems with "tracing paper" and/or hooked nails.

Re acrylic nails: I fear them. Since you've now got something like fiberglass superglued to your nail, if you catch your nail hard on something, I'm afraid you don't get a broken nail: you get the nail torn off the nail bed. I shudder. (If it works for you and you're careful, more power to you.) An additional concern: I have a friend who is a cosmetologist, and acrylic nails not only have to be re-based as the natural nail grows out, but if you're not careful, fungus can start growing between the acrylic and your nail. Nasty stuff. Her recommendation was to pay a lot of attention to the condition of the acrylics, and, to avoid infections, to go so far as to have your own personal set of nail tools that you yourself make sure are clean and sterile. When you go in for acrylic work, you bring your own tools.

Just my paranoid two cents.

AA