View Single Post
Old 07-20-2018, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

re: The posts, I think it's the same saddle on a new bridge so expect the spacing would be the same. I've never done this before so I don't know if the posts just lift out or if they're fastened in somehow. I've found info online about changing bridges but nothing specific to the saddle & posts. Maybe that means there's nothing to that. Guess I'll find out when I get to changing the strings. As for the neck set itself, yeah, it's occurred to me but I don't see any sign of separation at the heel. I couldn't say for sure about the elevation of the fret board, I don't have a measurement or anything. The work was done at the shop where it was built & they seem to have a spotless reputation. I'm inclined to think it's a summertime swelling of the top. I haven't run into this before but I haven't had an archtop guitar before either and I gather that this isn't uncommon with archtops?. (I do have a mandolin, same builder, haven't seen this sort of change) I did send an email to the shop a while back & was advised to try adjusting the truss rod (no mention of switching the bridge back to the old). The neck had seemed perfectly straight to me but I gave it a slight turn (not more than a quarter) Now I have a slight relief, less than .005 (my thinnest feeler) no change in the action though. I thought the advice was a little odd as I'm under the impression that adjusting the neck in that way would have minimal if any effect on action. Never the less, I sent a message back with the result (he'd said "let me know") No response to that though. I suppose maybe it seems kind of minor to experienced players? I had the action at a comfortable to me 5/64 with a bit of saddle height. Now the saddle is lowered all the way action is at 1/8.