View Single Post
Old 01-19-2021, 01:42 PM

Default LR Baggs Anthem *AND* ES1. (2nd output jack)

I have a 2009 (ish) 414ce with an ES1.2 in it. The ES1 is ok, but I want something better and have (mostly) decided on the LR Baggs Anthem. I had the idea of installing the Anthem without removing the existing ES. While I'm sure many might think it's redundant to have 2 pickup systems in a guitar, I see some benefit such as having the option to choose the pickup system depending on the situation (for example, big loud band vs a quiet solo performance), or having a backup if one fails or runs out of battery.

But above that, it seems to me that since none of the Anthem's components would occupy the same spaces as the ES1 components (with the exception of the endpin jack), it would be more work to strip out the existing components of the ES1 than to simply leave it in and add the Anthem. The caveat of course being the need to drill and install a 2nd output jack. To me, any cons of adding the 2nd output jack is outweighed by the pros of not stripping the ES1 out.

What is your recommendation regarding drilling a second output jack on my Taylor? My thinking is to drill one between the endpin/battery compartment and the guitar top. I've seen other threads talk about this and have seen some (non-Taylor) photo examples. It does look like there's just enough space in spite of Taylor's big endpin battery compartment.

Is there any other advice or comments regarding what I'm trying to achieve?
Thanks everyone.