View Single Post
Old 12-08-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
I took my action a little low and now have a problem with 1 fret which manifests with a buzz when applying the 15th fret little e string.

The 14th fret - perfect, tuner shows "e".
The 16th fret - perfect, tuner shows "#F".

The 15th fret - has buzz, sounds just like the #F on the 16th fret, and tuner is blank.

Question - under these facts, am I correct in concluding that my problem is that the 16th fret is too high, relative to the 15th?

Question - what is the cleanest way to reduce the problem fret height? Assuming I have small flat/rounded files and good sandpaper.

Thanks for any help.
You need to use a "fret rocker" to ascertain the problem. A picture and a link are below.

On a recent thread, I recommended one & got some pushback, evidently from a couple of people who repair and setup guitars which, frankly, stunned me. Guys, we are talking about a $10 item -- that should be in every guitarist's case. Obviously and personally, I don't care if anyone uses what I use or not but it is interesting to see a logical recommendation be discounted and, for why, I still don't know.

Having said that, your problem is a bit different from buzzing frets in the lower area of the neck. Your problem is above the guitar's body so I would first recommend that, if you are going to do ANY work on your guitar, spend $30 and buy a nice repair book from someone like Dan Erlwine. On page 166 of Guitar Player Repair Guide, Third Edition, he addresses fret buzz in the high registers.

For lower fret buzzing, here's how to use the rocker I mentioned. Note that you can still use it to assess a high fret on the upper neck, but I would not recommend trying to do any repairs in that area yourself and certainly, I would never sand a fret myself.

1) As you can see, there are three sides to it.
2) Pick the side that "straddles" three frets wherever you are on your fretboard.
3) Try to "slightly rock" the fret rocker. You are looking for a very, very subtle rocking that will indicate that the "middle fret" is high. You have to do this for a while (and preferably on a "known high fret") to know what you are trying to find.
4) If you find a high fret, then you have probably found a fret that has risen slightly in its slot.
5) The ideal tool to correct this is a fret installation tool that, when clamped, will re-seat the fret. Only a shop will have this. The alternative is to use a short (3-4") hardwood dowel to (judiciously) tap the fret back into place.

Link to tool: http://www.philadelphialuthiertools....igh-low-frets/

Picture of Fret Rocker:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (13.1 KB, 111 views)