View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Rat View Post
I bring this up because I was in the classified forum looking at a guitar that really interests me. I was seriously considering sending a PM but then saw, "buyer pays all PayPal fees" and that soured my desire to buy from that seller. I think those fees are the seller's responsibility and I don't like being asked to either to use the friends and family option (giving up protection) or paying the fees. Paying shipping I understand and agree to as long as it's not padded. But those fees are the seller's nut to pay, not mine, and I don't like it when a seller tries to slip those on to me.

I'm reminded of two weeks ago when me and my wife bought a new car. The finance guy tried to sell us an extended warranty which would have been 9% of the cost of the car. I said no. Then he wanted to sell us a maintenance package which would have been 5% of the cost of the car. I said no. He started talking about another add-on and I stopped him: "I'm going to keep saying no to whatever you try to tack on." There's a trend over the last decade of slyly increasing the costs of things with after-sale-add-ons, just like the darn plane tickets where they ding you for everything extra now, like luggage.

Lastly, I thought that it was verboten to try to push those fees on the buyer. Am I wrong?
The seller is hardly trying to tack on something that increases the cost after you've already decided to buy, since they are saying so right up front.

Tell me, which is better, that they indicate that a specific mode of payment incurs a cost to be borne by the buyer if that is their choice, or to add that cost to the sales price unannounced, so that if someone chooses to pay with some other, less costly method, the seller gets to pocket the difference?

Everyone wants something for nothing... Tanstaafl.