View Single Post
Old 01-25-2021, 10:39 AM

I appreciate all the thoughts. It's a subjective question without a ton of experience or vocabulary on my side to reference.

I own a rosewood OO Larrivee and I've played a few others. I don't think that's what I mean. Mine has a very nice balanced tone but it's a more restrained voice than I'm thinking about. Again, as with Taylors, could be I've not tried the right one, or tried it long before I could listen as I do now.

Lowdens and Goodalls sound different to me too, and a Goodall played by Mark Hanson is probably closer to my ideal for the chimy metallic trebles. But in both cases, I experience them as more full and balanced than my beloved Martins. As others have noted, they have a piano quality that really plays well to the use of dynamics and overtones. To my ear, the chords feel like each note is distinct, but also beautifully blending with sustain and overtones for days.

I've found a couple of Webber videos online that are in the right ballpark for sure. I'll see if I can get my hands on a few of the other models mentioned. It's a tough job but someone has to do it.