View Single Post
Old 05-23-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Orion View Post
Hi all,...But I also really like a lot of the Norman Blake stuff I hear and I really love Julian Lage's World'f Fair album and I'd like to be able to mix it up a bit and put some flatpicking into my playing...The issue is I'm not really schooled in a lot of this music and I'm not sure where to start -
Thanks!
Since you already have some (great sounding!) chops, a good place to start is with repertoire; just learn some fiddle tunes. I think you likely have an educated enough ear that if you listen to some great examples, you'll be able to make good judgements about how your own playing is developing.

Although flatpicking is certainly employed in a number of genres, bluegrass probably has the deepest well of talent, accessible material and opportunities for collaboration. Doc Watson and Tony Rice are two contemporaries of Norman Blake and have probably done more to define bluegrass guitar flatpicking than any other individuals (although the list of GREAT flatpickers, especially contemporary ones, is LONG). Definitely dig into them.

If you'd like instruction with feedback, that goes a step or two beyond books or Peghead Nation (both of which I've used), check out Artistworks/Bryan Sutton. Very highly recommended.