View Single Post
Old 11-23-2022, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

I have been playing three years. I no longer consider myself a "beginner," though surely feel that way sometimes. Anyways, my "beginner" days are not so far in my rear view mirror that I do not remember them - with little fondness.

So, in terms of chord changes, that will surely come. I guarantee it. But it takes time and committment and no small amount of tenacity. At least it did for me, as an older learner.

If you are challenged making chord changes in the context of a song, why not practice those changes outside the song, as an exercise, and then get back to the song with those skills. That may reduce the frustration level. Trying to learn a skill in the course of trying to play a song is trying to do two things at one time, only with more pressure.

One thing I discovered, and still have to remind my self, is to move from the sounded chord to the next one as quickly as possible. If I am not focused on this, I will often find myself wasting that valuable moving time. So, once you hit a chord, and it is good, pick up your fingers and move to the next one. Just having an extra fraction of a second can help big time. And think about economies - are there fingers that can actually stay down if they are common to successive chords.

As for other tunes, I started private fingerstyle lessons last year. The first song the teacher assigned was Freight Train. It was a very good introduction to the the right thumb skills you will need to play any songs of that kind. You can learn the non-sycopated version first, and then the syncopated one once you are comfortable with the song. Check out YT for some excellent vid lessons.

Most of all - enjoy. It is not easy. But you will eventially look back with great satisfaction with the progress you have made and the music you are making. And wonder how that even happened. I know I do.
David