View Single Post
Old 11-07-2022, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
...Inexpensive guitars these days, whether purchased and played as is, or finessed and fettled with endlessly, or even inexpensive scratch-built Frankenstein creations are fun guitars all day long. No excuses necessary. Beginner players today have no clue what a golden age of guitars we are living in...
The price/performance ratio for electric guitars has gone through the roof over the last 50 years, starting with the '70s "lawsuit" models that had the big names reaching for the Maalox (and Imodium... ) down to today's low-price/high-value offerings from Gretsch, Squier, Ibanez, Godin, et al.; since the late-70's I haven't spent more than $1K (brand-new with case) on any of my workhorse gigging guitars, with three well under $500 - no mods, just a good pro setup if necessary - and I've never felt undergunned in any situation. BTW same goes for amps, if you know how to shop around: my first electric setup (Gretsch 6117 Double Annie and top-panel/no 'verb Ampeg Rocket 1x12") from 1964 would cost ~$2500 in today's money - my current '16 Gretsch 3-PU 5622 and "blue-light" Bugera V22 1x12" go-to rig cost me about half that...