Thread: Cargo revisited
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2021, 05:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Yes, there seems to be some great Cargo stories, Tony. I was so impressed with the Cargo that in the fall of ‘08 I ordered its big brother, the GXi pictured below from Michael Stone at MacNichol. I quite liked it, but sold it in ‘17 to help fund my Coco Emerald Chimaera 6/12 Doubleneck, also shown below. A couple of beauties...yet the Cargo is the one that remains.
Now THAT is a testament to the unique qualities of the Cargo, Tom! I remember when the Chimera was the subject of much discussion and interest. By the way, what ever happened to Doubleneck himself? He had much interesting input to the various carbon fiber conversations. Also, where did all those earlier Emerald products go? Do many folks still have them?

One thing about the way the Cargo production went is that it was essentially frozen in time, almost like some sort of fossil. Apparently, the changes that Peavey introduced did not change the basic character of the Cargo, while Emerald continued to reinvent and improve their products.

I remember having a chance to play an earlier X7 back when the MacNichol forum was still around and (as I recall, but could be wrong), CA Guitars was still cranking out Cargos. I as not very impressed. The next time I was able to try an Emerald product was David Eastwood's X20, and that was a HUGE step forward, on par with McPherson and probably anything else on the market. I was impressed. I have no doubt that the X7 and the rest of their product line is right up there too. However, to me, the Kestrel would probably hold the most appeal due to my interest in chord melody.

Tony