View Single Post
Old 01-16-2022, 01:36 PM

I ticked boxes 1, 3, 5 and 6 - but that's just the way I learn songs most of the time. Sometimes it would be 2 (I don't sing myself, much, but I'm often transcribing for people that do, and they don't need the notation. If 3 (transcribing in a different key) it could be for another singer, not for myself.)

Sometimes it would be 4, but then I wouldn't call that "learning the song". I'd call it "learning the intro", or whichever bit I was interested in.

And of course there are times when I learn parts of a song note for note, and other parts more generally.

It depends on the reason I'm doing it, of course. To play it myself? To both sing and play it myself? For someone else to sing while I accompany them? To play it in a band with other singer(s) and instruments? Or am I doing it for someone else to play? Or for professional publication (whether I play it or not)?

All of this governs how much detail I transcribe, what key I write it in, and whether I simplify it or arrange it in any way.

But in general I do like to get lots of detail - maybe more than most would bother with. When I really like a song, I usually like all of it, and I like to dig deep.