View Single Post
Old 01-13-2022, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phydaux View Post
For the last several months I've been going to a monthly acoustic barn jam.

About 10-15 of us show up each session. We sit in a circle and take turns calling songs. The person who called the song either shares the chord progressions.

For the last several sessions the gang has been encouraging me to prepare something. It's pushed me to work on flat picking arpeggios and bass walkdowns. For the next jam I hope to lead the group by playing Cocaine Blues, Johnny Cash-style. This has really pushed me to focus my practice sessions and work with a metronome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi JD
Two things helped me grow.

We have a local guitar society which is a group of players who meet once a month and play/perform/sing for one another for a couple hours. Having to have a couple songs ready once a month has helped over the years I've been involved.

Also, having a regular playing 'partner' who is slightly better at some musical things and still learning others I'm better at has also helped.
It's good to see I'm not the only one offering this advice, though it's the only "how to play better" advice I ever offer....

I've been playing multiple genres on multiple instruments in multiple settings for over 48 years.

The SINGLE BEST WAY I've ever found to improve as a musician is to REGULARLY PRACTICE AND PLAY WITH OTHER MUSICIANS. Books and DVD's are helpful. Great resources are available online. In-person lessons with a good teacher are better. Solitary practice/woodsheding is VITAL. But playing music with other people is the number one thing.

Harder to do these days, but still true.