View Single Post
Old 12-24-2021, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamolay View Post
I am just a beginner, so what do I know? But I hear this concern quite a bit on guitar forums. It seems there are a lot of people who have learned guitar for a while but are hitting limits because of inadequate attention to fundamentals.

It sounds a bit like that for you and you may have some success going back to a coherent beginners course to fill in the gaps so you can then get back into the finger style with more base.

I use Justin guitar. Well set up and coherent. Yes, it will seem a bit like a step backwards, but one step back for two forward. But regardless of who you study under, I would recommend a coherent course that build from basic rather than a bunch of you tube videos.

This is just what “buddyhu” is saying that he is getting from his private lessons. That is probably a great way to go as well.
Very well said. One needs a structure that gradually builds on the fundamentals so one can accumulate the knowledge and skill to play well. If one gets frustrated and starts trying to imitate without the underlying work done, you'll never be as good at it as the guy that got there by building a solid foundation.

I took a year of Guitartricks. It was expensive, and after a while I realized that I need to slow down and practice to build the skill before moving on. Then I tried Justinguitar free for about six weeks and found it valuable enough to begin a monthly donation. I really like his teaching style, and I also watch plenty of YouTube videos. The best part of Justin is if I feel I need to slow down and practice, I can reduce my donation for a while and then increase when I'm ready to plow ahead.

One observance (about me). When checking out Justin, I thought his lessons were long and wordy compared to Guitartricks. When I decided to go with him I realized he isn't wordy. He covers the material thoroughly, uses plenty of explanation and options, anticipates hesitation and is always supportive.

Best of luck to all newbies from one who seriously began learning at age 69.

Mike