View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 04:33 AM

I can wholly recommend the JLD bridge doctor. I have fitted several, and in all cases the performance, tone and volume have been noticeably improved.

They're actually not great at reducing a high action problem due to bellying and string pull, but more so to stop the bridge tilting forwards and stretching the area of the top below the bridge. But saying that, they do - to some extent - bring down the belly.

The trick when adjusting one is not to tighten it too much; just enough to level the bridge and reduce the belly somewhat. Don't keep tightening it up in the hope of the belly going downwards big time; it won't.

On old guitars where after years of tension, you can actually see two diagonal stress 'lines' curving down and outwards moustache-like from the bottom of each of the bridge, this is cured; the top in this area is liberated from this stretching effect and is much 'looser' and free to vibrate and reproduce bass notes.

In short, after using the JLD BD I have found in all cases:

The bridge no longer tilts forward
Bellying is reduced
Action is reduced a tad
Overall tone is better
Bass response is MUCH better
Volume is greatly enhanced

If you're not getting that, I suggest the JLD has been poorly fitted and/or poorly adjusted.

I wholly recommend the JLD BD.
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-580
Vox V2000-DR

+ electric guitars..