View Single Post
Old 11-22-2020, 05:26 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Having driven one of these for many years:

I have had my eye on these. The SSL 4048 above had two different EQ types aboard. I especially like the idea of the big monitor knob on the new interface. You'd have to have driven one of the old Neve 8000 series to understand that. Check out the two big monitor knobs under my hand on the 8058 below:

I miss my big knobs.

The popular rule back then was track on the Neve and mix on the SSL, but there really was nothing bad about the SSL. It had a far faster slew rate so if you were looking for clearer, crisper high-end for hi-hats, etc., it was better. The Neve had a lower slew rate and also had a smoother high-end. There were lots and lots of albums tracked and mixed on the SSLs. Many studios had a Neve in one room and an SSL in another.

The funny thing is that there are always folks who will sneer at your choice. By the way, SSL, Calrec, Allen & Heath, DiGiCo (Soundtracs), and DiGiGrid are now owned by a parent company, Auditonix. It is now a console powerhouse.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)