View Single Post
Old 06-14-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
I know and associate or meet many more who've moved to places where a lot of time in a car impacts their behavior and well being. There are cases where that long commute is hard to avoid. Situations like jobs in different directions or changed jobs after settling in a place.

I can't go very long looking at my social media feeds seeing people I know and work with complaining about traffic and taking pictures of it where many chose that yet complain about it.

About 11 years ago now we went from 30-40 min one way to commutes that are 1.8 mi for my wife and 4 mi for me. She will still tease me about that because it was her obsession but the reality is we don't even have to answer the phone or look at it when a drive is never more than 15 min, or as long as 22-24 min on a bike.

I'm a leader in an institution with about 600 kids in lessons, programs and teams. Where I work there are hundreds of employees in the state's two major metro areas. I see a whole lot of families who are living 2-3 hour of their day in a car. That seems to create a lot of distracted driving and it looks like a hit to quality of life.

Driving aside, when I visit friends and family in these modern outer ring subdivisions or suburbs I see few people out and knowing each other. They even describe people by what they drive. There's a contrast where their kids are not out as feral kids knowing others in their own neighborhoods.

Again, I know many have to make some choices and long drives that are not ideal but I also know it doesn't have to be that way way for many. Not living that way helps you meet some important standards for health and well being.

Thanks for the reply. Honestly, I would love to have a shorter commute and I will
one day. My wife has about a 10 mile commute but it’s long due to the traffic. Right now we both have great job situations at places we enjoy and we live exactly where we want to. Dealing with the commute is an unfortunate part of that, but it’s worth it to me. I just didn’t feel like that meant I made a poor life choice and just wanted some clarification on what you meant.