View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 02:04 AM

Location: the Netherlands or Holland, whichever you prefer ;-)
Default update

Hi guys, sorry it took a while to post this new update. Last weekend we started work on the build, but it took me until now to find the time to post about it. We have been working on the neck and made some nice progress.

We started off by taking the next profile measurements off my favorite nylon crossover neck, on my Taylor 812ceN

Now we needed to start working on preparing the neck for construction of the guitar. this is a very important part of the process. By making sure all the surfaces on the neck perfectly flat and perfectly perpendicular to each other, we can start construction of the guitar knowing that all angle relationships will be straight and perpendicular as well.

So we setup this planer to ensure a perfectly flat surface. Here you see the importance of having a perfectly perpendicular angle between all services, because now the side of the neck will determine how the knives in the planer hit the fretboard surface

Looks great so far, check out the flame on that maple.

Now it is time for the headstock. We start by sawing off some pieces of maple that are jutting out.

Then the headstock gets the same treatment on the planer.

And is then finished off on the belt sander.

Now we need to start measuring. The nut will be our zero point and we will work from there, determining all measurements.

Now that everything is perfectly perpendicular and flat, we can thickness the neck with this thickness sander.

My Youtube Page

My Video Recordings
My Audio Recordings
My Sheetmusic

My Twitter