View Single Post
Old 12-28-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak View Post
I play a nylon string with a pick, having similarly switched from acoustic a few years ago.
Decades ago, I tried to play strict classical guitar for a couple years but had endless problems with thin, weak fingernails, finally giving up on it altogether.

I disagree about fingerpicking a nylon string with no nails. I can't stand the sound. Even fingerpicking with good nails often sounds limp and quiet if you don't learn to pick hard and use mostly rest strokes. A flat pick on a nylon string guitar gives you more than enough potential picking power, so no excuse for a weak tone.

You won't damage your top with proper pick control. I got some good advice years ago and learned to anchor my pick hand at almost all times with my pinky. Really vigorous playing, like hard strumming folk, rock, or blues with lots of bending, is sort of an off-menu use of a nylon sting guitar. It has a unique sound for those, but you have to deal with buzz/slap issues and be willing to burn through strings. The wound ones just aren't made for that kind of stress.

Much more difficult to play multiple voice stuff by bouncing back and forth across several strings with a pick, and often nearly impossible to play simultaneous notes as written for classical guitar. Right now, I'm stretching my limits learning Paganini's 24th Caprice, from the violin sheet music. I expect that I will eventually be able to play the theme plus 7 of the 11 variations, including one that is all sliding octaves, but the other 4 look impossible. Most classical pieces that aren't exercises in technical extremism for solo cello or violin should be totally playable on guitar with a flatpick.

My ultimate solution for the multiple voice limitations of flatpicked guitar was to take up playing the piano.
I agree with most of your points.
Especially the one on intolerably low quality of nylon sound when picked with flesh.
Too bad many sellers present their instruments like this.

As for accompanying my vocals and playing two or more lines AlaskanPiks that I use for classical playing are just fine.

The Caprice... I’m with you. 7 variations are doable. To an extent. Remaining 4 require you to sell your soul. And one may not suffice