View Single Post
Old 10-19-2019, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
I am beginning to think that V-bracing works better for some guitars and not as well for others. I don't care for the sound of the 814 and 914 V-braced guitars. I prefer the X-braced versions, but prefer many other brands/models to these regardless. I recently purchased a K14ce Builder's Edition that is V-braced V-class, they call it) because its sound is (to me) "magical".

What I mean by "magical" is that when I am playing it, I am not practicing scales, arpeggios, and chords, but instead just exploring the sounds it can make. I have encountered very few guitars, whether mass produced or boutique that have that effect on me. That is solely why I bought this guitar.

I certainly have absolutely no idea how an X-braced version of this same model would compare because this is the first K14ce I have encountered. However, I can say that the V-bracing certainly didn't hurt the bass response, and the clarity (regardless of what tuning is used) all over the fretboard is something I can truly appreciate.

So, it really still comes down to try before you buy, rather than forming an opinion based on forum chatter.

In other words, I agree with the post I quoted...

Tony
Thanks, Tony, for your V-Class experience. Although I've only played a 317e and the 717e V-Class I recently bought, your experience with your new K14ce V-Class mirrors my V-Class experience. I had a 2013 K14ce ES1.3 that sounded superb and I'm sure your new V-Class version sounds even better. Koa is a magical tonewood that sounds different but great from the get-go!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20