View Single Post
Old 11-20-2017, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakedi View Post
So the long and short of it is that I like the lack of setup time, cabling, space taken and mess that a small handheld gives and I am trying to see if I can get something that will get me as close as possible to the preamp quality, ability to attach own mics and basic overdubbing/multitracking abilities as I can from a computer/DAW setup ... but all in a small package. Hence my Zoom questions.
Totally get that, I love using the zoom, and even the internal mics sound quite acceptable.

I hadn't tried overdubbing with it, but just tried to see how it works. The process is pretty easy - but there is one snag. You don't get to select your input channel routing, as best I can tell. So you can't really use the internal mics alone for overdubbing. I recorded a base track with the internal mics tracks 1+2, but then to overdub you need to record on one or more of the remaining tracks - say track 3. You can't use the internal mics for that, you need to plug a mic into input 1, which maps to track 3. Then if you want to overdub on track 4, you'll need to move the mic to input 2, which maps to track 4, and so on. BTW, it keeps all takes, so if you overdub repeatedly, you have all flubs (er... takes) available as separate tracks that could be imported into a DAW.

So not bad, but having to use an external mic and having to change the channel you plug into for each overdub takes away a bit of the simplicity - you'll need an external mic or plugin with a pickup. But it works, sounds fine, fairly easy to set up other than having to switch around the inputs.