View Single Post
Old 10-13-2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonfiberfan View Post
I’ve owned the Emerald X20 Opus, CA GXI and GX, and a Rainsong H-OM1000N2 (different model than you’re asking), so have had extended experience with each as owner and not simply demoing them, although I no longer own all three and am basing the following off memory.

For guitarists just entering the carbon fiber world and wanting a tone similar to wood as they make the transition, I highly recommend trying the CA GX and GXI. For those who have already begun to acclimate to the carbon fiber world, they may find the Emerald X20 appealing due to more refined ergonomics, light weight, and different voice. I think the taste of players can change over time—especially in the cf world—as I’ve seen players migrate from one brand to another as they get more accustomed to leaving tonal traditions behind and get comfortable with the variation offered in cf.

Tone:
X20: “clear, simple, almost sterile purity” in tone; embraces its identity as a carbon fiber guitar and doesn’t try to sound like wood; well-balanced
CA GXi: great “complexity/depth” in tone; profound bass response and lower end; “woody” tone compared to emerald or rainsong; 80/20 vs phosphor bronze strings is very noticeable; safe to say it would never be described as a “bright” guitar by any player, regardless of differences in hearing
Rainsong H-OM1000N2: “crystalline” and leans towards highs and trebles, with weaker bass presence; relatively "bright" guitar

Sustain:
I could drive the top of the GXI harder to give a longer sustain than the X20, although the X20 might be slightly more responsive to light touch. Rainsong was middle-of-the-road

Feel:
Emerald woos aesthetically with its refinement and beautiful craftsmanship that is top bar none. Many are probably tempted to purchase/keep it for that alone, which you can’t deny the strong pull. Emerald’s standard neck shape is a little “clunky” and not my preference as it caused fatigue over time, with CA GXI a little “flat” feeling although much more comfortable for my taste, and Rainsong felt close to Taylor.

I’ll mention that I sold both the Rainsong and Emerald, and my GXI is an absolute keeper—there’s something mesmerizing about its unique rich voice, which has the quality of being almost haunting/pondering, while the X20 and rainsong are more innocent/cheerful. The GXi is a very polarizing guitar model, as guitarists frequently either love it or dislike it, with no neutral ground. My love for the GXi is so endearing that I bought 2 others when the model was discontinued, and I’ve sold all my other full-sized guitars, so there are some very passionate CA-lovers out there even though it doesn’t always make it to the forum

Carbofiberfan: Nice review sir! Now I want the Rainsong neck with the Emerald aesthetic and the CA tone ! Ha! Thanks!
1976 Gretsch Chet Atkins Country Gentleman #7670