View Single Post
Old 08-24-2018, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Default Post recording processing

For what's it worth an outline of what I do for solo guitar recordings:

Once I have a raw stereo recording I like and can work with the usual post recording sequence I use is:

1. Balance volumes R and L and bring up to average listening level (around mid eighties decibels).
2. Check R and L phase correlation and if helpful delay one or the other channel (usually a fraction of a millisecond) for best sound. BTW doing this I need not bother placing the two mikes that I record with equidistant to the inch(es) from the guitar – that is too limiting in set up choices.
3. Equalize: I usually use just a high pass filter. Spot frequency band adjustment used on occasion for something harsh. Also BTW I have almost always been equalizing on a stereo track. However equalizing tweaks on R and L track separately (e.g. say just the right track is the culprit for a particular frequency) is an interesting thought and I may explore more of it in the future.
4. Recheck listening volume levels. May diminish or increase volume on a particular note or passage.
5. Add some sort of reverb.
6. Adjust volume level again to to a few decibels shy of clipping of the loudest note.

I don't use compression or a limiter, or dither (it's never that quiet).