View Single Post
Old 01-12-2020, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but what is the advantage of using the effects loop instead of just daisy-chaining devices? Also, when would I or wouldn't I use the effects loop on the ToneDexter?

Thanks.
There is an argument for daisychaining the units with the TD last to take advantage of the XLR out as Doug describes. I haven't put numbers to this but my own messing about suggests the TD insert point is operating at a signal level higher than what some (maybe not all) pedals are expecting, more like a standard rack unit.

My ideal setup was to put my AG Stomp in the insert but I found I was turning the input level on the AG down to avoid overloading the AG input, then setting the AG output gain at max to feed the insert return something it was happy with, resulting in annoying but not catastrophic noise and a less detailed and transparent outcome.

Daisychaining (AG>TD) made it better but the connectors made it just too big for my pedal case.

As it turned out my guitar was better suited to the TD and mandola to the AG so I just separated them and used a different mixer channel for each.