View Single Post
Old 11-11-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
The difference between the ADI21 and for example a high end Fire Eye is US hand assembly vs. mass production in China and marketing. The ADI21 is a great preamp.

Any preamp vs. an impulse response pedal (basically a digital filter that attempts to make a pickup sound more like a microphone) is subtle to an audience but could be very meaningful to your enjoyment of performing.

Perfecting "your guitar only louder" is a worthy hobby in and of itself. Plenty of the Amplification Forum participants rarely or never play out.

My duo partner has a collection of Martins and Taylors. The Martins have K&K's I installed and his Taylor is an older ES1.3 I've repaired a few times. He is a very accomplished player and singer. And he has no preference for his amplified tones between those options.

I A-B my IR on/off and he can hear that something is different but has no strong preference and knows the correct answer. I think I've beaten him to agreeing the HFN is the best sounding pickup in all our guitars. He has a GE-7 in his signal chain that he uses only as a boost pedal with the EQ set flat...

The simplest rig that you think sounds OK will make gigging much easier and be less hassle. Each step up in tone: UST, to SBT, to IR, to second source internal mic, to IR and mic, lower your feedback resistance, give you more knobs to twiddle when a particular room does not sound as good as the last, and is more stuff to have an unchecked knob set wrong (and more stuff to break).
I think you have convinced me to just keep with my ADI21. It costs nothing and sounds good. I don’t want to get into that mindset of being happy with something and then chasing more and more because that leaves you never satisfied. Maybe I will try out the bodyrez pedal to see if I like it because I like the simplicity of it especially for busking. I won’t get a chance to try one for a couple of months but till then I can wait. If I want an all in one solution (preamp with mic input and effects such as reverb) then I may look at one of the zoom preamps but I’m good with the ADI21.

Thanks for the help