View Single Post
Old 12-25-2020, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuba Mike View Post
In a somewhat related topic: Do any of you put round strings on your archtop? I hate the feel of the flat strings but love the sound of the archtop acoustic guitars. If I were to get an archtop I would want round strings on it.
I use nothing but round wound strings on all of my acoustic archtops. They are all acoustic only, and get round wound bronze acoustic guitar strings. Usually .012 - .052's, but currently .010 - .048's due to a left hand nerve damage issue. I do use round wound nickle steel strings on the two that have a pickup.

I've got two vintage archtops, 1946 Epiphone and 1957 Hofner, that are laminated and they have a good sound, but not the same sound as a hand-carved solid wood archtop. I couldn't afford the kind of guitar I wanted, so I learned how to make them. I can make an exceptional sounding archtop for around $500 in wood and supplies, plus around 300 hours and a fully equipped wood shop.