View Single Post
Old 06-19-2016, 01:19 PM

I think there is some confusion in the terminology here. There is a difference between planing and leveling. A fretboard should be leveled before tension and frets are added. Relief is set by compression fretting or adjustable truss rod. Planing, the way I understand Hot Vibrato to mean, was to shape the fretboard, or shave areas of the fretboard, so that under tension there is the correct relief. I don't know what you mean when you say, "I plane the fretboard until it's perfect". I also don't see the need to plane the fretboard to correct the relief of a guitar that has an adjustable truss rod. I would hate to see my guitar's fretboard thinned at the nut and body join as a means to adjust the relief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Vibrato View Post
You can't just plane it flat and expect it to be right under string tension. The way I was trained is to induce "simulated string tension" on the neck, and re-check the results several times during the procedure with the guitar actually strung up. This method is discussed extensively in both of Don Teeter's The Acoustic Guitar books, and in Dan Erlewine's The Guitar Player Repair Guide. FWIW compression fretting only gets a passing mention in those books.
Why would you do this on a guitar with an adjustable truss rod? From the other topic I have the understanding you do this to all guitars you refret. Seems like your method is to shape the fretboard with a simulated back bow instead of using compression frets to create back bow on guitars with non-adjustable truss rods. Am I understanding this correctly?

......Mike

Last edited by 00-28; 06-19-2016 at 01:48 PM.