View Single Post
Old 03-11-2018, 08:56 PM
Humanist

The general formula that most builders use results in the bridge spacing and overall 14th fret width (not 12th) being equal...and this is regardless of what the nut width is.

I tend to prefer a wider fingerboard taper, and this is generally making the overall 12th fret width of the 'board as equal to the bridge spacing.

I do know of a few builders who spec-out their standard guitar with 2-1/4” bridge, and match that at 12, the way I like it. This is great for a bit more distance from the e-strings to the edges of the fingerboard...which is what *I* prefer.

On some builds I have gone even wider, matching a 2-1/4” bridge with a 2-5/16” 12th fret width. That was really pretty extreme, but it was a great “feel”, playability-wise. No matter how much side-to-side vibrato I created, nor with any vigorous hammer-ons, could I pull the high e-string off the edge of the 'board.

Others (players & builders) prefer the *exact* opposite, and they like their E strings fairly close to the edges of the fingerboard...so their fingerboards taper *narrower* than what I have discussed above. With all of these observations, there is no "ideal", nor is there a *right* or *wrong* for *everyone*...YMMV.

Your guitar, from our PM exchange, is 2-5/16" at the bridge.

In my ideal-world this would be the measurement at the 12th fret...but *your* guitar is 2-1/4" at 12, and so I guarantee that at 14 it is 2-5/16" (again, with the 2-5/16" bridge spacing)...this is the way *most* guitars are built, that is, matching the bridge spacing with the overall 14th fret width.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

Last edited by Larry Pattis; 03-11-2018 at 09:13 PM.