View Single Post
Old 01-27-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
...which is that the new bracing pattern helps to cancel out inharmoic or wolf tones at the upper registers of the fingerboard.
OK, with 'wolf tones' I assume you refer to Hemholtz resonance, which is basically the tone created by standing waves inside the body? You can hear this when you blow over the sound hole - it's similar to blowing over an open bottle. The typical tone it produces is an A (110 Hz), and indeed, when it's too far off it sounds a little awkward. That's why guitars sometimes sound better when tuned a little sharper or flatter.

Would that be what Andy means? In that case the term 'intonation' is not a smart choice. Poor intonation, in my vocabulary, means that your notes go sharp (or flat) the more you go up the neck. Or anywhere else, for that matter.

EDIT
No, Andy meant intonation in the traditional sense. In one of the videos you saw players go way up the neck and shouting out in utter euforia that the chords sounded still in tune, thanks to the V-bracing. That's intonation as anyone uses the word, and if your bridge saddle is too high, or your frets are at the wrong places, your intonation is bad. No way v-bracing or any other bracing could fix that. The more I think about this, the more I consider it plain swindle. Please proof me wrong!

Last edited by Picker2; 01-27-2018 at 11:42 AM.