View Single Post
Old 09-18-2013, 11:06 AM

Default Really basic advice needed

Guys,
I am trying to make some reasonably decent recordings of my primitive guitar playing (before my Parkinsons robs me totally) and could use some rank beginner level advice on setting up the mike, and maybe more.

I play a Gibson J-45 rosewood, picking and strumming with bare thumb.

I've got a Yeti mike on an adjustable boom stand going into a Windows 7 laptop running Audacity software.

I'm assuming I want the mike as close to the guitar sound hole as possible. OR, is there some reason to expect more realistic sound capture with the mike a few feet way (like an ear would be) or maybe sort of off to the side of the hole somewhat?

As I adjust mike position, I turn its gain to where I'm just avoiding clipping evident on the meter (> 0 dB) and hearing distortion thru my headset monitors. Of course, with the mike farther away and gain turned up, there's more background hiss.

I'm using the Yeti in stereo mode, thinking that will give more realistic room-like sound. But, I could be talked into cardioid, or other?

What about the angle of the Yeti? I assume that having front side face the sound source is best. Any reason not to position it end on towards the sound?

Any advice is most welcome, including suggestions on issues I may not have considered worrying about. Like, any concerns about Windows 7 or Audacity--I understand that life would be better with a Mac and Garage Band.

Thanks!

Steve