View Single Post
Old 02-16-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfsark View Post
For what’s it’s worth, I have one of my radio station buttons set on a country music station...to see if I can bond with the sound. And my conclusion after several years of trying to like it, is that modern country seems like total drivel to me. A bit harsh, but I really like some of the older country music. Now Sturgill Simpson is fantastic. But I never hear this type of music on the radio.

So what’s going with modern country, at least what’s played on the local station? My 2 cents: The sound is totally over-produced. Maybe its the Nashville sound, but every darn song is so professional, harmonies ever perfect (electronic harmonization of course), the baritone so resonant, the session players so accomplished, the compression so intense, the melody line so lacking in melody and the lyrics so canned, trite, cliched and void of creativity that I fail to see the attraction.

I also listen to a couple of hip-hop stations. Now I am never, ever going to perform hip-hop, but once in a while, I am turned on by really great lyrics. OK, almost no melody, lots of rhythm but at least sometimes the hip-hoppers have something to say.

This post should be moved to a different sub-forum...
Yes, and don't forget the totally unpredictable key change hook. I dislike this stuff; like you say it's over-produced and formulaic. I guess as long as there's a big hat, references to a dog or 'mah baby', with a truck for the garnish, that's all we need.
Funny you should mention hip-hop. A young (22), friend was visiting today and she played me some really interesting stuff that I would usually have arrogantly dismissed as unworthy of my 'sophisticated' taste.