View Single Post
Old 04-11-2022, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Default GAS ... a personal journey

I would echo what everybody has said...GAS is a interesting beast, insidious in onset and relentless, albeit with periods of calm. You will undoubtedly find that your tastes will change, either drifting towards one aspect of the guitar (size, model, sound, woods) and then shifting further or back from where you started. The more you are able to play guitars from different luthiers, the more your GAS is fueled. You will eventually discover that you need more than one instrument to satisfy your GAS...that's a turning point for many, but for some just a pit stop.

Getting over to Dream Guitars, or even TNAG or Guitar Galler in Nashville is a bonus, highly recommended, and will really help you to see what's available/possible with todays artisans...I have taken a longer route, but once you take that first leap into having a guitar made just for you by a single luthier, there's no turning back! You marvel daily at the craftmenship and beautiful creation that you hold in your hands.

I was hanging out the other day at a local luthier's shop, Rye Bear, and I was telling him of a friend (who he knows) who has a roomful of guitars that are a beauty to behold...and it just hit me...I need another guitar!

As far as cost, you need to put it into perspective...I see younger people renting the house next door for upwards of $8000 a week - just an ordinary 60 year old rancher, nothing special, although the view is great...and to think - that money could be used for a one of a kind guitar! There's also the build process and involvement in the project which is a unique experience...to be able to tell Leonardo that you want a bit more of a smile on Mona's face!!

Mark Hatcher Pina Parlor Torrified Maple/Cedar
Stephen Kinnaird 00 B&W Ebony/Engelmann Spruce
Simon Fay African Blackwood/Sinker Redwood
Wolfgang Jellinghaus Torres Modelo 43S Maple/Spruce
K Yairi CYTM Maple/Cedar