View Single Post
Old 10-27-2021, 08:52 AM

Default Taran guitar club: Lapsed member returns - Tirga Mhor.

I've been a huge fan of Stefan Sobell's guitars for many years. Indeed, it was an IRW Model 0 (made predominantly by Nigel Forster when Stefan’s apprentice) that ignited my passion for steel-strings. Sobells have incredible clarity and separation but can be somewhat "steely" and "cold" and, ultimately, this has caused me to move on, only to return a couple of years later, and so the pattern repeats: I've owned 5 over the years. I think Rory Dowling's instruments are very, very similar - I owned a Taran Mhor several years ago that was uncannily Sobellian: It looked exactly like one and also had tons of clarity and "spit", as Rory would say but, again, a bit cold.

After years of GAS I ended up with guitars by Tom Sands and Ed Claxton, and was perfectly content; great, top-class instruments. However, when I played Rory Dowling's "Mk II" Tirga Mhor in 2019, I was smitten despite not being in the market for a new guitar at all. Why? Well, because it seemed to me to combine the best of Sobell in a much warmer, richer, forgiving, and responsive package; i.e. a personal "Holy Grail". I resisted (I was perfectly happy with my two steel-strings) but, inevitably I ordered one, asking Rory to build me a clone of the guitar that had smitten me: Spruce mated with Malaysian blackwood BS and a Santos mahogany neck.

Some details of Rory's new Tirga Mhor and my thoughts on it here:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...hlight=simpson

Of course the pandemic intervened. Rory finally started my guitar but, as a health-care worker, I just haven't had the time (or inclination if I'm candid; I'm worn-out) to post a build thread. And frankly, the AGF is swarming with Taran threads currently. Cutting to the chase, the guitar arrived a couple of weeks ago and I am completely blown away. Predictably, I was nervous it might not replicate the "magic" of the previous guitar (now owned by my pal Ian), but I needn't have worried. It has great clarity, projection, and separation but is completely devoid of the rather "dry" and steely characteristics I've heard from Rory previously. I'm also surprised to find that this rich tonality steers more towards my Sands than Claxton - I would have predicted the reverse, given that Rory's Mk. II Mhor was inspired originally by a Martin 000-18.

It's obvious to me that Rory now can now swing sonically anywhere between that forceful, projection so beloved of Martin Simpson, and a richer, mellifluous and more responsive alternative, much better suited to bedroom heroes like me. Indeed, when Martin's first Mhor came up for sale (as he commissioned a second), Rory cautioned me against buying it, stating that it would have too much "spit" for my liking. He can titrate to personal taste with ease. Oh, and Rory’s woodworking is spectacular: In that regard, very few are equal and none better.

So, very, very pleased indeed. I'll stick up a couple of videos in the near future but, in the meantime, here is a pic to whet the appetites of the exponential Taran fan club around here, coupled with details of last Saturday’s activities:

Cheers, Steve