View Single Post
Old 12-14-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
HI g-niac

That's a new one to me. I see Larry Pattis listed as a user (he's been a member of the forum for years), and have sent him a question about said UST pickups. Though he is listed by David Enke's Open To Sound Source UST's site, Larry's site makes no mention of them, but does list Pickup The World (a variant of SBT which fixes to braces).

He's pretty exploratory and like many of us has had multiple pickups in many guitars over the years.

Since you like them, do you run it with a preamp (either internal or external)?

Open To Source Sensors is David Enke's new company. He's no longer with PUTW.

You can use the OTSS UST with an outboard preamp, but I currently have one wired to a Matrix Infinitety strap-jack preamp which I had lying around. With this one I have the Matrix's wheel tone control set on the most trebly setting. but still have to use my Zoom A3 preamp to cut a little bass (-3db at 80Hz, -3db at 160Hz) and add a little presence (+2 db at 6KHz, +4 at 12KHz). The guitar itself is a pretty bassy rosewood/spruce medium jumbo.

The other OTSS UST which I have has replaced the Element UST in my anniversary edition Crafter (rosewood/spruce GA). It was very easy to install as David wired a 2.5mm plug to it so that I could plug it right into the Baggs "barn door" style onboard preamp. The setup works pretty well, except that I have to roll off about 5db on the bass EQ slider. In any event, I don't need an outboard preamp for more sophisticated tone adjustments. The four onboard EQ sliders work well enough.

I used the Crafter (direct to mixer) at last night's gig. Though the venue was very noisy, I like what I can hear from the video recording.
https://youtu.be/jJzNCkjizdY