Thread: Home Recording
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeamusORiley View Post
I have been searching online for the ease and simplicity of the old Tascam cassette recorders when I found the TASCAM DP-004 was made to deliberately mimic the cassette recorder. Sweetwater has it and some reviews.

I had fun with just it, and an acoustic guitar (no mics, no plug ins, nothing electronic) and recorded acoustic guitar on Track one, lead acoustic guitar on track two and maybe vocal or harmonica on 3 and 4.

Does the H2n do the same thing without any other equipment? The other Zoom 16 seems much more complicated and needs a computer. I am only thinking:

-acoustic
-stand alone
-a way to hear the first track while recording the 2nd track
-no mics, no inputs

Does this sound too simplistic to be any good? My goal is to eventually make a CD for my kids. Acoustic guitar, harmonica, uke, vocals. If I am able to do this, I may save for an acoustic bass guitar and begin to learn to play.

I am limited with time and am alone. I apologize for the ignorance of recording. I loved the H2, but my eyes had trouble with the small screen and I don't know how to edit via computer. thanks again for comments, answers, opinions.
The H4n (or Tascam DR40) will do what you want. They have overdubbing/multitracking features. The H2n will not.

I haven't used either of the multi-track recorders. I've used the R16, it works well but the built-in mic is a bit lacking to my taste.

Although the startup learning curve using a computer based system can be frustrating, the ergonomics of editing and general use are much easier on the computer, once one gets past the initial brain-fry period.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog