View Single Post
Old 02-23-2021, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Default ..I had missed that post somehow...

..how deep do those sapholes go?
Apparently they seem to be the source for the spalting if I understand correctly..
But I assume the holes are detrimental to both sound and looks.. unless you sell them as bullet holes and make it a wild west guitar ;o)

The maple with quilting and spalting looks good !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Winters are long here in New Hampshire. Sugaring Season is the first sign that winter is waning. When the days start getting into the 40s and the nights are still going down to the 20s, the sap for making Maple syrup starts running in the Sugar Maple Trees. Here in southern New Hampshire Sugar Season starts around the end of February:

Why am I talking about Sugar Maple Trees? Because Sugar Maple trees are Hard Maple Trees and I make guitars out of Hard Maple, it's my favorite Maple:

In recognition of Sugaring Season and the coming of spring I looked into buying some Sugar Maple. They have been making Maple Syrup around here for centuries and the fact is, all trees fall.

Look at this board:

Yes, those are tap holes in that board which spawned all that wonderful spalting across that lovely curly grain:

Now I am strategizing just how I'm going to get some guitars out of there!