View Single Post
Old 09-17-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
You're unlikely to get radically different results just by changing Taylors, maple or not. I think you should tell us more about your recording setup for starters, and especially try lots of different mic placements. One guess about your "muddy but thin" problem is that you say you're micing at the 12th fret, that would account for some thinness, mostly string sound there. And 4 inches away, your going to get proximity effect (bass buildup from the mic being too close), depending on the mic. Try moving it further out. Try 8 inches, 10 inches, 12 inches, etc, and also try bring it in more toward the body, 14th or 15th fret. If it's a directional mic, try tilting it toward the soundhole if it's too thin, away from the soundhole if it gets too boomy. There are dozens of other spots, you could spend weeks carefully experimenting with mic location to dial in the sound you want.
Doug, you have to be one of the most succinct guys in the forum. I understand exactly what you are saying and it makes complete sense... I did check some of my old recordings with my Larrivée and they sound really nice. I think it does have to do with the mic placement more than with the guitar or the microphone themselves.

My set up consists of either the Larrivée or the Taylor mic'd up with the MXL 990/991 combo or alone. I prefer to use the pencil condenser because it is easier to manipulate than the large diaphragm 990... I am in a 12 x 10 room with my bed behind me and a wall in front of me, not too many ricky corners in my room and I don't think that would impact much at where I am right now.