View Single Post
Old 07-01-2009, 06:45 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Default 6 29 09 Part 2

After the Rosette hardened I thinned the top to 3mm thick as per one of the books. I had one little peice of material pop out of the rosette. Fixable.

Oh yeah, something tells me this top is not Sitka, its Lutz

This was on the back

Then I went onto figuring out bracing. I have a Martin Sample with normal X bracing on one side and Scalloped on the other. What the heck...Scalloped it is!

I went to my Aircraft wood scrap pile and found a nice straight grained billet.
Copying the sizes I cut the thickness on a table saw then shaped with the Band saw. Man is the band saw easier than a scroll saw!

Then over to the sander for the shaping.

I got most of the bracing done and then read "Put in the X brace first and let it dry over night."
I cut the shape of the top (nerve wracking but not hard) . I allowed a 1/4 over to work down to
The Blues Creek Go Bar deck is the cats meow for assembly. The one I built with Bendy sticks is ok. The bars on this thing bend incredibly then hold even on a thin top ridge. I really thought they would drift and fly like springs. Not once.
I used a 20' radius for the top. Whets that? A slight angle in the dish "arches" the top outward slightly. I need more coffee to better explain.
I have 3 different ones. I used the radius that best imitated the Martin curve on their Braces.

I have big sheets of sand paper. I put one in the dish, wiggled the braces on it till wood came off even the length of the brace. Glue, Gobar, Go make dinner its 10PM!
Additional; I measured and re measured and was destroyed when I figured out my sound hole was 1/2" to high. Well it was a half inch to high because I had used a Yamaha to get my sound hole from the top measurement. Yamaha's are 1/2" higher than Martins! Trade secret don't tell anyone. So there is a flavor of Yamaha in My Martin design. Seems only right.