View Single Post
Old 08-14-2022, 06:00 PM

Default Can you identify this Ventura model?

I found this jewel at a second-hand store. Brought it home and restrung it after giving it a once-over inspection. Here's what I know and don't know: It has a solid top. The bridge has been professionally repaired (you can see where the screw holes were plugged with mother-of-pearl. The neck is two-piece. All glued joints are perfect. There is an end pin that I suspect was added later, but the plastic does seem to match the machine heads. It has an amazing sound, sustain and projection.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...9wQzVUQkpYODZR

Here's what I don't know: The b/s look to be laminated mahogany but could be rosewood. I don't care; just curious. There is no sticker on the inside, so I do not know the model. It is NOT a 1583, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, or 1600. Neither the rosette nor the headstock inlay design match any of those. It came in what appears to be the original case, labeled 'Ventura' on the inside; yellow fleece. The case is of typical construction from the 1960s. My research indicates it was almost certainly built in Japan. I am wondering if it might be some sort of prototype. (There is no evidence that there was ever glue from a model sticker inside.) The only hint inside is the number '401' stamped on an upper brace. I've search all the image/photo/Reverb/Ebay sites I could think of and cannot find another one like this one.

I have a hobby of sorts - buying second-hand discards, restoring them and then giving them away - mostly to kids. I confess, this one is not going to be given away. Thanks in advance for any clues or revelations.

Last edited by island texan; 09-07-2022 at 01:29 PM. Reason: image insertion