View Single Post
Old 09-28-2020, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
I saw him at the Opera House. I used to Usher there. You had to do all the events pretty much, which was the downside. The upside was you got to sit on the steps and watch the shows once the house-lights dropped.

Turned into one of the longest most memorable nights of my life. A couple of younger guys (compared to the usual Opera House Guests) were curious about why a "kid" would be ushering, and we started talking, and in the second intermission, they invited me out afterwards.

Perfect world, it would have been to the after-party with Sylvester and all the other performers. Not the case. BUT, and it's a big but, Turns out they were in the band The Tubes. Long night. Very long night.

I'd hardly consider the Tubes as any sort of disco! What a great number it was! Too bad they were pretty much a one hit wonder....

I could never be a disco kind of guy, and only enjoyed dancing while intoxicated. Back in the 70s, I did have a leisure suit, but that was far as my disco experience got!
The disco music just seemed more refined, & Jazz like. There was lots of talent involved... My grudge against "Disco Culture", is that it opened up the era of using DJs, instead of live entertainment for dancing joints, a plague for musicians, which continues into the present!

Don