View Single Post
Old 08-30-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Shape Cloud View Post
I concur. I made it to about episode 10, I think, and all I really remember besides broad plot points is a lot of heavy smoldering gazes. Felt like I was being strong-armed into sympathizing with characters I didn't care about at all.

On the other hand, re: liking the villains, I think that's quite deliberate. Probably there's a pretty good message to be read between the lines, if my eyes didn't glaze over quite so quickly at our heroes' Deep Emotions... lazy tropes being inverted, stereotypes being addressed from a relatively uncommon angle, etc--but it feels like it was planned by a committee. I have a comparable reaction to The Orville, which I stopped watching at around the same time. Meanwhile, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency gets canceled. Sigh.
I actually liked the Orville early on but agree; social commentary in this day and age comes across more like some sort of indoctrination. In a way the original series did the same thing but at least The Orville doesn't take itself so seriously - though at times it should as some of the humor is forced at inappropriate times.

As for "Disco Trek" - and I can't believe I'm saying this - I'm actually looking forward to a future (although unlikely) installment of JJ Abrams interpretation of the lore.

*sigh* I miss the days when fan fiction was allowed. A lot of the stuff put on YouTube by fans was actually better.