Thread: Guild confusion
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2018, 10:50 PM
Charter Member

Wasn't the F-40 originally called The Valencia? I know that somewhere along the years, the Valencia was dropped... but one of the companies that has owned Guild in the past years brought the name "back", if indeed it ever went anywhere!

Since Mark built it for me in 1979, I have owned and LOVED my Angus F-40... built from a template of a Guild F-40, with a Florentine cutaway. Black Forest German spruce over 'plain Jane" maple, rosewood binding on the body, mahogany neck.

My Angus has been my "go-to" guitar since it came off the bench; until 2011, that Angus was my ONLY 6 string acoustic, and I never once thought about replacing it... just a wonderful instrument to hold; big, but not so big that it's at all unwieldy. I really think the shape and size contributes to it being a wonderful all-around guitar - strumming, flat picking, solo jazz lines, fingerpicking or fingerstyle...

The F-40 Valencia (introduced in the mid-50's?) is VERY close to the size that many builders call their "Mini-Jumbo"... a fraction bigger than a Goodall Concert Jumbo or a Taylor Grand Symphony.

As you can tell, I LOVE that shape/size!

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)