View Single Post
Old 02-04-2018, 01:30 PM

Default Comparison thread Bose S1 vs EAE D6-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
lol. It's exactly what I noticed. I guess Bose L1 do marvels in "bad acoustic" environment where you would end to cut the lows and highs anyway.

The Bose S1 has even less lows since my point of view is that it also lacks some low mids... However it does not prevent me from having GAS for it (I am a complicated guy).

For me, the only real competitor is the Fishman mini charge. EAE amps are way heavier, Laney AH4x4 have poor fixed gains, ACUS also use lead acid batteries. I read somewhere the Fishman mini charge has limited lows on battery power... For me if I have to use lead acid batteries, I'd prefer to use a real amp or speaker.

Bose is an expensive toy... but who does not like expensive toys?

PS: I wished amp manufacturers would just give the opportunity to bypass the power transformer/power supply and enable people just to plugged their own batteries or DC Boosted batteries....

Cuki

I absolutely LOVE my EAE D6-8 in spite of what may appear to be flaws on paper. Yes it’s heavy, but it just oozes high quality. The construction is top notch all the way around.

You can see this in little things like when you take the battery door off, it is a thick piece of metal rubberized on one side. The thumb screws are spring loaded and stay attached to the panel. When you turn it up, everything is rock solid. I can’t make the cabinet resonate like I can with the S1.

The way they did the LA battery makes sense to me as I use it. It’s clearly designed to be your main home amp and plugged in when you’re home. The battery charges slowly, but if you do a gig and take it home and plug it back in when you’re done, it will be 90% charged by the next afternoon when you are likely to need it again. The blue charging light may not go off until that evening or the next day, but that doesn’t mean it’s not ready for use. Charging it slowly this way maximizes the life of the cheap LA battery and really has no practical negatives if you get in the habit of plugging it in when you’re home. The 72 hour figure is a worst case scenario where you have a lowest quality battery and it’s completely discharged. They could have made the charging rate whatever they wanted, and they decided that this was the best compromise.

If you use an external battery, it is designed to use both that and the internal battery. This is actually pretty cool when you think about it.

I play fingerstyle guitar with the fleshy part of my fingertips rather than long nails. As a result I have to crank the guitar up. I’m also playing thumb bass lines, so I need to bring up the lows in particular. With most amps this leads to a bunch of mud and low note feedback by the time the volume is loud enough. That is why I carry an EQ/preamp pedal.

This is the first amp that I’ve owned where I am happy with the built in EQ. I can dial in exactly the sound I want with no mud or resonating frequencies at comfortable playing levels. That plus all the DSP I like to use.

The biggest thing though is the sound. I have a Bose L1/T1 setup as well. I love the sound of that as well, but my wife won’t let me keep it setup in the living room. This gives me that same sort of high quality sound in one box at home and small venue levels. It also lets me plug into a larger system and send a perfectly mixed and monitored stereo feed to the sound guy.

The D6-8 is one of those boxes where you might look at it on paper and say “meh, it’s not what I’m looking for”, but once you try it out, you really can’t live without it. She’s a lot hotter than her Tinder profile... ;-)

Last edited by lkingston; 02-04-2018 at 01:52 PM.