View Single Post
Old 11-10-2019, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Spivey View Post
OK, the whole V8 thing was a joking reference to the ancient V8 juice commercials. I guess nobody else remembers.
Oh yeah, I remember those commercials. I got it... and thought it was funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Most hybrids run on the battery mostly, using a small gas engine to recharge the batteries when necessary. Some use gas primarily plus electric to boost performance when called for. It depends on the make and model.
Yeah, they vary a lot. The one I've looked at the most seems to start with the electrical motor unless the accelerator is pushed hard enough to exceed its capacity. Otherwise, as the speed increases, there is a little less electrical and more gas. As soon as the car senses any coasting or backing off the accelerator, it'll bring back in the electric motor. That's why the city mpg exceeds highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
How are the batteries of these hybrid and electric cars disposed of? Will we see some sort of environmental crisis as all these batteries come to needing to be replaced and disposed of?
I don't know, Tony. I would assume the dealerships will follow the current laws that cover disposal of batteries. I guess hybrids just make for more of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
There are articles that will explain the battery life cycle and recycling better than I can here.
Yep, that's what I've been looking for. Thanks, guys!