View Single Post
Old 10-31-2019, 11:41 AM

Thank you, GL, for sharing your experience. So, once you have the paper cutout, how do you use it to transfer the whole thing to the inside of the body where you have to work blindly? That's what I'm trying to find out.

I think I understand your instructions to make the cardboard jig, cut out the holes and the saddle line, but then what? How do I actually transfer everything to the inside of the guitar body?

Here's what I'm surmising, please confirm or correct me: I make a "dummy" of the bridgeplate from a piece of cardboard. Then I place it on top as you describe, mark the spots for the bridgepins of the high and low E, and the line of the saddle. I then cut out the holes and the saddle line ensuring it's wide enough to accommodate the HFN pickup. Then the whole thing goes inside, I hold it underneath the bridge plate, but then what? How do I make it stay there? Can I secure with two bridge pins from underneath the bridge, with the pins being upside down? Would that even work?

The final step would be to do a few practice runs trying to fumble around and stick the pickup into the saddle line slot that I cut out and practice the placement without the tape in place.

Once I feel comfortable doing this and nailing the position on first touchdown, I put the tape onto the pickup feet, go for the final shot and hope for the best.

Does that sound about right? And would it be advantageous to buy one of those thingies that look like a dentist mirror mounted to an extendable selfie stick?

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro