Thread: Emerald
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2019, 07:32 AM

Default 12

I’m halfway through re-stringing the 12 on my Chimaera. Trying the Light gage 10-47 Elixer PB’s. I’ve got the same on the 6 string side in 12-53 gage.

The best D’Addarios I liked were the Nickel Bronze.
The last set I’m replacing were John Pearse 80/20 Bronze, which were not as overly bright as the Daddarios I’ve tried in 80/20, really liked the JP’s.

The stock 80/20 DAddarios Emerald put on sounded good to me but seemed to be a bit higher tension even after adjusting the neck a little.

What I’ve noticed about the Elixers is I don’t have to fight the bridge pins popping out when restringing. Seems the wrap around the ball end is a lot cleaner and uniform compared to other MFGs. These are not as dull sounding as some othe Phosphor Bronze sets I’ve tried. Somewhat splitting hairs deciding whether the Elixers, DD Nickel Bronze, and the John Pearse are better. I’m leaning toward the Elixers as the string noise is minimal on a carbon fiber guitar with stainless steel frets. Tends to make a carbon fiber tone more on par with a high quality wood guitar. I’ve been playing the six string for a week before deciding to do the same on the 12. Looking good so far, time will tell if these are a keeper.

FYI, I have the bottom side of the 12 restring right now. Typically the GBE side does not vary a whole lot between MFG’s in tone as most of the strings do not have a wrap wire component to them. I started with the side that matters most. I can give more details once I’m done.