View Single Post
Old 11-29-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy68 View Post
I own a Cordoba GK Studio Pro Negra Guitar. As is stated not only by Cordoba, but many on line websites etc, this guitar has been designed and built to suit the - so called " crossover " guitarists. By that, my best assumption is that
the ... " crossover " guitarist... MIGHT be described as such : Perhaps plays varying styles but more specifically, while maybe has some experience as a Classical guitarist, also plays, or would like to play Latin, Latin Jazz
( Jobim etc ) , even Earl Clugh style / influence mainstream and fusion Jazz,
but to play it on an electro / acoustic slim body, or even thinline ( thin body )
Nylon string guitar, either finger style, or even with a plectrum. He or she may also actually have more experience playing steel string acoustic guitars, hence the slightly narrower neck of the Cordoba GK Pro Negra Nylon at 50mm at the nut. Finally, the " crossover " guitarist likes the idea of on board Nylon acoustic PreAmp / under saddle Piezo amplification so that he / she can use it live in a trio, quartet , full band - whatever.
Let me enlighten you, remembering that the following is strictly, and only my own opinion :
1: The Cordoba CK Studio Pro Negra has the on board Fishman PreFix Pro Blend PreAmp / under saddle Piezo Pick up. I tried to sound check it live at sound check before a gig .... RUBBISH ! ! ! .
We ended up having to stage mic. it.
2. This guitar is a 12 fret at body / slim body guitar. Cordoba recommends high tension strings. .... Not good. The neck length too short. The body depth too shallow .
3. The neck width at nut 50mm. Not good for finger style guitarists. The right hand fingerpicking technique is too restricted with not enough headroom between strings. Nails keep hitting, knocking and buzzing adjacent strings. The classical 52mm neck width , while the difference may not sound like much,
would've been the way to go for this guitar - all guitarists.
You could ask - but is a 52mm neck width OK for plectrum style.
Well .. we are talking about this CORDOBA guitar. So fine, if you really want to spend the full new model price on it , just so that you can use your pick with Nylon strings - go right ahead. Anyway, you could also ask, just how many guitarists out there use a pick with Nylon strings. Take it or leave it, you're better off doing that with a good solid / chambered body Nylon Ac/Elec guitar.

..... Your call.
While I realize this post may not be designed to communicate facts, some clarifications may help others.

Cordoba does not state this guitar is designed as a crossover or designed and built to suit the crossover guitarist. They state it is a flamenco guitar designed for the stage.

As for thickness, it is the same thickness as my acoustic only flamenco specific concert level guitar. Flamencos are traditionally thinner bodies. Neither the GK or the GK pro is a thinline or thin body acoustic in the flamenco world. And yes some flamencos are thicker. I own some thicker flamenco guitars. Classicals will almost always be thicker than flamencos though there are a few exceptions.

As for the too short neck length, the scale length is a very conventional 650 mm. And 12 frets to body is also standard for flamencos and classicals. In the case of the GK, the cutaway renders this data point moot.

While the 50 mm width is not the standard full 52 mm width, it is greater than the 48 mm width associated with crossover guitars. Furthermore the fretboard is flat which is also not typical for crossovers. Beyond that it is personal taste and experience but I find the 50 plays a lot closer to my 52s than a 48 does. I do not play nylon with a pick and I manage to overcome the difference in width with only a little practice. And I run normal tension trebles on mine. Works fine.

As for the preamp pickup? Nothing special there. It is workable but mic'd will sound better if your gigging arrangement accommodates that. Mine does not so the pickup is very handy. And it sounds decent through my rig.

While the GKs would not fully qualify as flamenco guitars in my book, they are much closer to flamenco than to crossover. And while they are not concert level nylon string guitars, they are usable for performance. As an acoustic nylon, the GK is way down on my list but as a guitar I gig all the time in an ensemble context, it is at the top.

Maybe the poster is confused as to which guitar he owns.

hunter