View Single Post
Old 01-13-2019, 04:57 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
Thanks Tim. I'm going to ponder this
It makes sense that the bass has more relief.
The bass strings moves a greater distance when it oscillates therefore it needs more space to move, especially in the middle of the neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Caldwell View Post
Tim,
Interesting concept. Does this allow and is the goal to set the action at a consistent height for all strings?
Hi Jimmy,
No, we still set the action, measured at the 12th, to be lower on the treble side and higher on the bass side. Smaller strings (treble side) oscillate a shorter distance so you can set that side lower. As each string increases in diameter and mass it moves a greater distance and therefore needs more clearance. Differential relief allows for this.

Before, I would set the relief with the truss rod. Now, I sand the relief in the FB before it’s under string tension because I know where the neck will naturally bend because of the way we add differential relief.

I think most successful builders, at our level of experience, have similar woodworking skills. However, if we build 10-20 guitars a year, that doesn’t give us as much experience setting up guitars as someone who makes their living doing sets ups daily. David and Hesh do hundreds and hundreds of sets ups in a year. It’s taken me over 2-1/2 decades to reach similar numbers as they accomplish in a single year. They have shaved years off my learning curve and I am greatfull that they shared their skills and techniques with me.