View Single Post
Old 06-15-2021, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk View Post
I can't speak to the X30. I owned a T5 for several years and have mixed feelings about it. It is a beautiful guitar and a joy to play. Everything about is so comfortable.

Notice I didn't mention tone. When I finally sold it it is because (for me) it was not a great sounding acoustic or a great sounding electric. About 80%. That includes trying different amps, preamps and pedalboards. I really wanted to like it. The final straw was when I went to a Taylor Roadshow and I thought the sound they got during the demos was not very good.

I would expect the X30 to be a far superior acoustic.

YMMV

Jack
Curiously I bought my Taylor T5z Pro Limited 2018 Roadshow Exclusive, with a Grapevine Finish, at a Taylor Road Show in Cotati, CA. Besides being drop dead gorgeous, Wayne Johnson did an incredible job showcasing the electric and acoustic sound possibilities, and Loud and Clear Music gave me a great deal.

While very comfortable to play, and having an excellent build quality, I wasn’t that successful getting comparable acoustic or electric tones. I also subsequently acquired additional acoustic/electric and electric guitars that gave me what I was looking for.

Wayne said he liked the T5z a lot, because he could take it on gigs in Europe, and not need additional guitars.

From what I’ve read here, people either love them or find them wanting. I’m definitely in the latter group. There is only one acoustic setting, which I found almost okay. Going by Reverb listings, they seem to hold their value pretty well.

I also haven’t played an X30, but love my short scale, custom build X20, and also expect that the X30 would be a better acoustic than the Taylor.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class

Last edited by Acousticado; 06-15-2021 at 09:06 PM.