View Single Post
Old 07-28-2019, 06:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
A question (not a challenge, a real question)….

Why are any of the participants in the thread concerned with getting the absolute fastest hard drive throughput? I'll have to admit my recording projects run fairly low track counts of actual audio (a dozen or so tops) but I never had a problem even with mechanical hard drives on disk speed (I would use a dedicated disk for recording as was the convention at the time). Are people actually having recording errors based on inadequate disk write speed without PCI based m.2 storage of the fastest spec? Is it something else you're gaining/preventing?
A fair question but as you note based on "individual" situation. For example if someone is only recording a few audio tracks and using none or very little plug in processing then depending on actual DAW CPU usage demands, there may be no significant noticeable difference., switching from SATA to PCIe, storage

Back to the question (one to which there are numerous possible variables and answers) where faster might be a factor, yes even for the participants in this thread (also possibly widely varied in situational needs ) .

If the DAW being used has heavy CPU usage ( Yes with Pro tools I have had a few instances of running out of CPU with only say 8 or 10 audio and 6 ot 8 VI's tracks all going with real time processing. Particularly before upgrading to a PCIe SSD Boot drive, and RAM loding of sessions.

Other possible reasons include
If multiple plugins with heavy CPU draw are being used real time .
If significant amounts of editing of audio has not been cleared from storage
If multiple Virtual Instruments with heavy CPU draw are used in real time (sometimes my case )
If Virtual Instrument libraries with large amounts of content are used (where search and retrieval involve huge amounts of data )
Anytime video processing and rendering is involved (sometimes my case)
If track counts of processed audio and Midi start to climb.

Then there is the concept that:
Given the general trend is such that, as software gets more and more features and more complex , it typically demands more speed, so in looking to the future to "future proof" ones computer, there is only "too little" processing power.
I have yet to hear someone utter the phrase "I wish my computer was slower and less capable"

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 07-28-2019 at 11:19 AM.